Re: TWA and the A318 and 717

Date:         13 Jan 99 02:13:46
From:         "S.L." <look@the.sig>

Vince Lanza wrote:
> TWA's on-time performance has been number 1 the past three
> months, and within the top 3 I believe for the rest of the
> year. Start flight performance is up and schedule completion
> is higher than it has ever been. As newer, less maintenance
> needy aircraft come online, these should improve even
> further.

The last sentence is a great theory, but in my years of air travel it
has been the exact OPPOSITE of what I've observed. I've been delayed,
rerouted, stuck in airports, and stranded FAR more often by new aircraft
than I have by old birds needing maintenance. I have a number of
examples, but as long as I may live, I will NEVER forget the night in
DFW when not one but TWO MD-90's (less than 6 months in the fleet at the
time) were unable to depart to get me home. The only "old bird" delay
that comes to mind was waiting a couple of hours while a 727 was getting
a new cockpit instrument in FLL (and much of that time was waiting for
the part to be ferried in!).

--
Stephen Lacker
slacker@arlut.utexxas.edu (Remove the extra 'x' to mail me)