Re: Bygone era of information available to passengers...

Date:         17 Mar 99 01:25:05
From:         Stuart Feigin <sfeigin@us.oracle.spambegone.com>
Followups:    1 2 3 4

Ron Parsons wrote:

> Actually, AA discontinued the audio monitor solely because some lawyers
> were plugging in tape recorders in the hope they could catch something on
> tape so that they could file a suit for $$.

Just to throw in my 2 cents, I was once on a United flight heading west
out of Denver when I wished I wasn't listening to the cockpit radio.
There was moderate turbulence being reported over the Rockies, and my
pilot apparently chose to fly much lower than normal to avoid it.  He
was right, we did have a smnooth ride, but the radio traffic was
disconcerting.  The controller kept telling him he neded to climb, and
the pilot kept trying to stay low.  Eventually, the controller said
something like "radar service terminated" as if to avoid liability for
the impending crash.  I was a bit nervous, but the non-listening
pasengers just enjoyed the smooth ride.