Re: DC-8 spoilers

Date:         13 Jan 99 02:13:41
From:         Don Stauffer <stauffer@htc.honeywell.com>

Ray Clawson wrote:
> The inboard engines on the 50-60 series 8's can be reversed in flight
> to serve as speed brakes.   Power can be used up to maximum
> continuous(I have never used them past "idle reverse").  The gear and
> flaps must be retracted to use this feature.  Speed must be less than
> 300 knots when coming out of inflight reverse.  The airplane shakes a
> lot when using in flight reverse, it's no telling what is going on out
> on the pylons.  Most dc8 pilots(including myself) avoid using the
> inflight reverse.

I was only on a DC-8 flight once where this was used.  The pilot said he
had just been given a new clearance for approach (into Dallas) and
wanted to take it, as we could cut some time.  But he had to make a
rapid descent.  He warned everyone that there would be a whole lot of
moving and shakin going on, and lots of noise.  He was right, but we
sure did loose altitude fast.

--
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis
home web site- http://home1.gte.net/stauffer/