Re: Bygone era of information available to passengers...

Date:         22 Feb 99 03:30:50
From:         Keith Barr <barr@aerosys-eng.com>

Adam Keys wrote:
> I flew on an AA DC10 in May 1986 - this had a cockpit view of the take off (and
> I think landing) and the crew communications on one of the sound channels.
> Slightly disconcerting to be flying into Dallas having heard the crew being
> warned about wind shear conditions.

This is one of the main reasons most all airlines do not feature cockpit
communications anymore.  The average passenger doesn't always
understand what is being said, and the misinterpretation of what has
been heard might cause fear, panic, or questioning of the flight crew.
Nobody likes a back seat driver.

Warnings such as the ones given for wind shear are a daily occurrence
in the lives of most airline pilots, and are respected, but rarely call
for doing much more than carrying a few extra knots to the runway,
and being more critical of maintaining a stabilized approach.

--
Keith Barr           AeroSys Engineering, Inc. & New England Airlines
mailto:barr@aerosys-eng.com         Broomfield, CO & Block Island, RI