Re: first toilet

Date:         22 Feb 99 03:29:12
From:         skipmacd@aol.com (SkipMacD)

>I would guess that the first aircraft (fixed wing, not airship) to carry
>a toilet was a passenger carrier, and hence within the purview of this
>newsgroup.  Does anyone know which one it was?

Up until the time of the Boeing Clipper (1939) toilets on airliners were
little more than holes in the bottom of the fuselage.  The firsr aerial
"water closet" was designed by Wellwood C. Beale for inclusion on this
aircraft when Pan Am took delivery.  An interesting sidelight was that
they had to change toilet paper brands from  one that was .010" thick to
a brand .003" thick to get it to work properly!!!

Source:Conquest of the Skies- A History of Commercial Aviation in America;
Carl Solberg; 1979, Little, Brown, and Company.