Re: B777-300/B777-300ER???

Date:         13 Jan 99 02:13:30
From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)

>>Is there such a model (B777-300IGW)??? I thought that so far, there are
>>only 3 variants of the B777??? The -200, -200ER, and the -300???
>
>It would of course be a 777-300ER since Boeing changed the clumsy IGW
>suffix to ER, but there's no such model either way, at least not in
>Boeing's opinion.  Their web site lists three models:
>
>   model       MGTOW (min - max)
>   -----       -----------------
>   777-200     506,000 - 545,000
>   777-200ER   580,000 - 656,000
>   777-300     580,000 - 660,000
>
>It's pretty clear that the base -300 is built around the -200ER as far
>as MGTOW and thus wings, engines, and landing gear.  Boeing mentions a
>longer-range derivative of the 777-300 as being under study, but so far
>the larger 777 has ended up being mainly an intra-Asia aircraft, where
>the range of the current -300 is quite sufficient.

To the best of my knowledge, there is a higher gross weight B777-300
in addition to the planned B777-300X.  However, I don't know the exact
MGTOW, and I don't know if Boeing has a special designation for the
aircraft.  The certification of this version is delayed due to the
delay of the PW4098 (98K lb thrust) engine certification.  The first
aircraft is expected to be delivered to Korean Air, the only customer
at this time, by September.  I doubt SQ's new -300 has MGTOW as high
as the aforementioned aircraft.