Re: A/C on fire

Date:         08 Feb 99 02:49:43
From:         "Roy Ellor" <ellor@tesco.net>

Ron Parsons <jrp59@gte.net> wrote in message <airliners.1998.1744@ohare.Chicago.COM> ...
>In article <airliners.1998.1722@ohare.Chicago.COM>, "Richard Rea"
><rrea@xmission.com> wrote:
>
>>After pondering the Value-Jet and Swissair crashes (and other similar,
>>aircraft fires leading to loss of control) I wonder if it wouldn't be
>>prudent to plan to "crash-land" the aircraft.  The pilot would have to get
>>down as fast as possible and in an area that would hopefully would give some
>>measure of survivability.  But going low and slow enough might give the
>>option of continuing on to the nearest airport or else crash in control if
>>the situation rapidly deteriorates.  Is this a viable consideration?

Not in this case...the evidence is pointing to a wiring bus fire on the SR
MD11. As this aircraft is much more computer-dependent than the earlier
DC10, failure of systems connecting the pilot to the machine would have
resulted in an airliner with a transatlantic fuel load becoming
uncontrollable near the ground and travelling at speed. People live near
airports,too. A full MD11 losing avionics over a town at night...that would
have been one hell of a hole.