Re: Info needed ??!!

Date:         08 Feb 99 02:49:36
From:         "Gerry K8EF" <gfoley@columbus.rr.com>

Saba wrote in message ...
>Saw this program sometime back about worst airline crashes ever.
>
>This is about a KLM jet on takeoff crashing into a BA or TWA ( i don't
>remember ) jet which was taxiing to the other end of the runway because
>inavailability of taxiways or something - killing some hundreds of
>people.

This occurred at Tenerife in the Canary Islands.  It was necessary to use
the runway to taxi.  The KLM 747 captain at the end of the runway said
''rolling''.  The controller misunderstood (did the captain misunderstand
what clearance he had?  I think so) and cleared the other 747 to come out
about the middle of the runway.  The KLM captain almost cleared the other
plane, but not quite.

I don't know why I don't think the other 747 was either of the airlines you
mention.

Gerry K8EF

gfoley@columbus.rr.com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/gfoley