Re: Tex Johnston dead.

Date:         08 Feb 99 02:49:34
From:         "Reino F." <reino.furuhjelm@finlandmail.com>

Tim Lee <Tim.J.Lee@btinternet.com> wrote in article <airliners.1999.116@ohare.Chicago.COM>...
> Robert Dorsett wrote in message ...
> >AOPA Pilot reports that Tex Johnston is dead, at age 84, of complications
> >from Alzheimers.
>
> What a great loss.  I remember seeing an interview with him about his 707
> flight, where he barrel rolled it over Lake Washington.

I think there was IATA air-transport meeting in Seattle, the B 707 (or Dash
prototype) had a show for the delegates. The barrell roll was a shock for
the spectators,  Johnston was lucky not to loose his job as chief test
pilot. Nowadays we see similar stunts only if "fly by wire" computers have
problems...

[Moderator's note: The event over which Tex rolled the 367-80 was
Seattle's annual hydroplane races.  Karl]

Reino F.