Re: Airliner Safety Stats

Date:         31 Dec 99 17:11:15
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>But this fellow has a severe definition of accident/incident.  He even
>blames one model for a food-poisoning death!!!

It's a good site for raw data, but I agree, his definitions for picking
what to count and what not to count renders the statistics meaningless.
Only accidents with passenger fatalities count.  Thus, the 747 is dinged
for the food-poisoning death you mention and the 757 is dinged because a
passenger walked in one door and out the other side, falling to his
death through a gap between the aircraft and the galley service truck,
yet the Aloha 737 which tore open over Hawaii doesn't count in the stats
because the only fatality was a flight attendant, and crew don't count.
Weird.

  - Andrew A. Rooney