Re: A32X fuel capacity

Date:         31 Dec 99 02:09:13
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>the capacity of fuel for the A321 is less than a 319 or a 320 because the
>fan of the engine is more bog than the others, the the the thrust is bigger

Nope, at least not going by numbers for AW&ST's Source Book.

Looking at the IAE V2500 engines, all versions have a maximum envelope
diameter of 67.5" and maximum envelope length of 126".

For the CFM56, there is more variation, but all versions for the A320
family (including the A319 and A321) are 72" in diameter.  The A320 and
A319 can use the -5A series engines which are 98.9" long whereas the
A321 requires one of the -5B series engines which are longer (102.4")
due to an additional low-pressure compressor stage, but the same engines
can be fitted to the A319 and A320 as well.

The engines fitted to the A321 have higher thrust ratings, of course,
but I see no reason why that should reduce fuel capacity unless the
higher thrust requires substantially augmented structure.

  - Andrew A. Rooney