Re: A32X fuel capacity

Date:         31 Dec 99 02:09:11
From:         tbenz@halcyon.com (Tom Benedict)

In article <airliners.1999.1254@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM
(Karl Swartz) wrote:
> >Also why is the four wheel bogie option not offered on the A321. At
> >least the A32X sales book which I have  has this information ...
>
> It was a special for Indian Airlines.  I don't know of anyone else who
> ordered it, and I got the impression that Airbus didn't like having to
> do it for IA.  Like the single 757-200 Combi, it may have been something
> the sales critters sold but the rest of the company would prefer to
> forget.  Do they offer it on the A319?  I'd guess not.

I assume that IA specified the 4 wheel bogie because of runway and ramp
strength limitations in the sub-continent. I recently read that the market
for western aircraft Russia (and the rest of the former Soviet Union I
suppose) is limited by the many airports whose runways and ramps cannot
tolerate the concentration of weight presented by many of the single bogie
western jets. So even if they did have economies strong enough to afford
Boeing or Airbus, they have many locations where they can't be used due to
this infrastructure limitation.

Once Russia's economy and government become stable I predict that western
airframe mfrs will do whatever is necessary to their products to open
these new markets.

Tom
tbenz@halcyon.com