Re: A32X fuel capacity

Date:         31 Dec 99 02:09:10
From:         james matthew weber <jmweber@goodnet.com>

Marc Schaeffer wrote:
> Can somebody please tell me why the basic fuel capacity on the A318,
> A319 and A320 is 23860 litters and 'only' 23700 litters on the A321.

What are you going to use it for.   23,700 liters is about 42,000
pounds, and that's should be about 8-9 hours worth in these aircraft.
Are there any places you are even likely to ferry the aircraft that need
more than 8 hours range? I doubt it.

Look at it another way. What is the spread between MGT. and MLA. That
pretty much identifies the maximum payload circumstances, and anything
in excess of that has to come out of payload.

On an A320-200 for instance, MGT. is 168,900, MLA is 142,200, so any
fuel carriage beyond 27,700 pounds eats into payload. If you fill the
tanks, you take a 15,000 pound hit in payload, and on an aircraft like
an A320, that would be a very large piece of the total lift.