Re: SR111 entertainment system?

Date:         31 Dec 99 02:09:07
From:         rdd@netcom.nospam.com (Robert Dorsett)

General Tso <emtgx@aol.com> wrote:
>On  a recent documentary on he Discovery Channel, the fire aboard SR111 was
>attributed to the wiring in the "now banned entertainment system."    Also the
>United Honolulu cargo door mishap was also blamed on wiring.  I wasn't aware
>that such conclusions had been officially reached, or that an entertainment
>system installed on MD-11 has been banned.    Comments?

The October 4 issue of Aviation Week notes, page 23, that the previous
week the FAA banned the type of system in use on SR111 in US-registered
MD-11s.  The system is an In-Flight Entertainment Network
System, built by Interactive Flight Technologies of Phoenix.  The
article notes that all installed systems (15) have been deactivated.

rdd@netcom.com                         aero-simulation@cactus.org

           "Bother," said Pooh when his engine quit on take-off.