Re: SR111 entertainment system?

Date:         31 Dec 99 02:09:06
From:         westin*nospam@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin)

emtgx@aol.com (General Tso) writes:
> On a recent documentary on he Discovery Channel, the fire aboard
> SR111 was attributed to the wiring in the "now banned entertainment
> system."  Also the United Honolulu cargo door mishap was also blamed
> on wiring.  I wasn't aware that such conclusions had been officially
> reached, or that an entertainment system installed on MD-11 has been
> banned.  Comments?

The entertainment system was banned on MD-11s registered in the U.S.,
as I recall; as there aren't any of those planes with that system,
it's somewhat symbolic. One theory was that this would force removal
of the system on any plane SR sells to a U.S. carrier.

I'm not sure that the system has definitely been blamed; as the TW800
crash wasn't definitely traced to wiring, but has resulted in various
inspections and suh.

--
-Stephen H. Westin