Re: What's up above the cabin ceiling ?

Date:         01 Feb 99 02:37:27
From:         k_ish <kenish@ix.netcom.com>

"Reino F." wrote:
> I am not an expert, but I think there is empty space above cabin ceiling
> with some air conditioning hoses. The problem with aircraft is weight and
> not so  much empty space. That's why the space is not used.
> Reino F.

The other threads are accurate.  A little more info; on the 747 over the wing
area there is also a very large plenum / blower assembly that distributes and
circulates air through the air conditioning system.  The air conditioning
packs are under the floor, and the "missing" windows in the overwing area are
where the ducts go up the cabin walls to the plenum.  Also, above the aftmost
left door (door 5L) is an equipment rack that contains the FDR and CVR.

On narrowbody aircraft, there is only about 3-6" inches between the ceiling
panel and fuselage skin.  This is taken up by insulation , hoses, wiring,
etc.

Ken Ishiguro