Re: QF Flight Engineers Dying?

Date:         17 Dec 99 01:57:50
From:         James Matthew Weber <jmweber@goodnet.com>

At 03:14 AM 10/5/99 +0000, you wrote:
>On 03 Oct 99 17:38:39  "Geoff Breach" <firstname@lastname.com.au> writes:
>>robert wright <kdol97@home.com> wrote:
>>> Don't most FE's eventually become first officers and captains ...
>>
>> No, they do not. FE and Pilot are completely different career paths
>>that don't often intersect.
>
>This is not necessarily true. It used to be VERY common in that most FEs
>became first officers. However, today, with fewer and fewer aircraft
>requiring FE positions, it seems that mostly captains, who have reached
>their 60th birthday and are thus no longer able to be captains, are
>filling the FE positions. Professional FEs (those who never become first
>officer or captains) are out there, but still rare.

Depends upon the Airline. On many US carriers, the career path is in
fact the same.

Starting in the 1970's, I think AA would not hire an FE if he couldn't
fly, so most of them on the 727 became pilots if they lasted long
enough. At other carriers, such as BA and QF, they used 'Professional'
flight engineers, and there is no career path into the right or left
seat. AT least at QF now, as the FE requiring aircraft come out of
service, they have the option of being retrained as First Officers, and
apparently a good number have been trained.

James Matthew Weber   (623) 587 7514 .  Fax  (623) 434 7598