Re: A330 vs. B767

Date:         03 Dec 99 02:09:59
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmscX@cmdnet.lu>

Ian wrote:

> I really wonder know if anybody know which aircraft will most likely be pick
> as the replacement of
> BA's B767-300ER or LH's aging A300.
> According to the German magazine Flug Revue,LH seem a likely buyer of
> B767-400ER...but they haven't bought Boeing's new planes for a while...

Some months back one of LH's VP announced to the press that Airbus has
no craft to replace the A300-600s, he also stressed that the B767 is the
most likely replacement. From inside LH I know that there is no A306s
replacement decision being planned for the next 2 years. They will even
be getting 2 used A306s shortly. From inside Airbus I know that they are
currently working very hard on the A300 replacement. After the shortened
A330-100, which used the A330 wing, a new idea has emerged which is to
reduce the wingbox of the A330 and clip the wings off. Kind of reverse
A340-600 wing. It is no secret that Boeing is working on potential
B767NGs, which are basically shortened B767-400, but having all the new
gadgets of the B764. When ordering the A32X British announced that they
will stay with Boeing for the widebodies, except for the B747/A3XX
market.

> And will BA choose Airbus???

THey did it twice, so if the price is right and the market justifies a
new type, it is possible, but I will still put my money on Boeing for
that one.

> They are so nationalism these days on enging
> picking..and RR seem
> very suitable to A330-200.But in other hand,BA is still the most loyalty
> supporter of B777,and many desigh ideas of 767NG are from B777.

That is right, and the existing B767 experience and the still growing
B777 fleet may point towards the B767NG

Marc
http://surf.to/orders