Re: Hot Wheels

Date:         21 Nov 99 23:56:45
From:         "n1" <n1@tinyonline.co.uk>

P. Wezeman wrote in message ...
> I read in an article somewhere that heat buildup in the tire
>can be a significant problem for airliners

It can be a problem, usually on landing although this has basically been
iraddicated by the use of multiple wheel low pressure tires reducing the
individual wheel and tyre loads. The problem during taxying is more to do
with brakes overheating, sometimes you need to wait a few minutes after
taxy to allow them to cool down before commencing the take off run, brakes
overheating is the main cause of u/c fire on a few older a/c and to a lesser
degree on the newer ones.

Neil / Engineer / England