Re: Last Convair 990 Flight?

Date:         21 Nov 99 23:56:33
From:         gfoley@gcfn.org (Gerard Foley)

Tom Digby (bubbles@shell18.ba.best.com) wrote:
> Scott Peterson <scottp4.removethis@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > The Los Angeles Times had an article this morning about a TV show
> > wanting to crash a jet airliner into the Southern California Desert.
> > There was a picture. If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll post
> > it to one of the binary groups.

> It was before my time, but people at one time staged train wrecks.  They
> would lay track out into the middle of a field somewhere, charge admission
> to watch, and crash two steam locomotives into each other head-on.  I
> don't know if they loaded the trains with gunpowder and such, but they
> might well have.  I don't know whether such events drew opposition from
> train-lovers and whatever environmentalists existed back then.

It was an annual event at the Minnesota State Fair.  I probably saw it in
1922.  The engines were diamond stacked, probably 4-4-0's.  The throttles
were opened at each end of the track, the enginemen left as the trains
started, and there was a lot of noise and steam and smoke and everything.

I would be surprised if the same show were not put on at a number of other
state fairs.  If there was environmentalist opposition I wasn't old enough
to know about it.   There must have been quite a few thousand Civil War
era locomotives around.

--
Gerry