Re: Hot Wheels

Date:         05 Nov 99 00:04:24
From:         "Robert Wright" <kdol97@home.com>
Followups:    1 2 3 4

>According to the article, if a plane at near maximum
>weight had to taxi for a long distance on a hot day, they might have
>to wait for the tires to cool before takeoff in case they had to
>abort the takeoff and brake to a stop on the remaining runway: otherwise
>the heat from the brakes added to already hot tires could cause the
>tires to fail.
> Is this correct? If so, do they ever spray water on the
>tires during runup to cool the tires faster?

    I'm not sure, but I did once talk to a captain who said that on very
heavy takeoffs, particularly out of places like Honolulu which involved some
long taxiing, he would leave the gear down longer than normal after takeoff.
This allowed the airflow more time to cool the brakes and also allowed the
airplane to build up more speed before gear retraction.  (The first thing
that happens is that the main gears doors OPEN, to allow the gear back in,
increasing drag.)  I don't know if this is standard procedure, or just one
captain's style.

RSW