Re: Strange 707 at Burbank

Date:         05 Nov 99 00:04:16
From:         David Lednicer <dave@amiwest.com>

Stuart Feigin wrote:
> I saw a very strange looking 707 yesterday at the
> Burbank airport.  I glanced out the window and saw
> a 707 with enormous winglets taxi by.  Not the
> little fences like on an A320, but 6 or 7 foot
> tall winglets like on a 747-400.  The fuselage
> lettering said something like "Stage III 707" and
> the was an emblem with the letters "SI" on the
> tail.  The engines were the old pure turbojet
> type, not the later turbo fans.
>
> Anyone know what I saw, and why it was built?  I
> can't imagine there is much economic value left in
> ancient 707s.

	The aircraft you saw was Burbank Aeronautical II's 707 testbed.  It has
winglets, modeled on those flown on a USAF KC-135 many years ago.  It
also has their Stage III engine nacelles, which look like the nacelles
found on DC-8-62s and -63s.  The aircraft you were looking at was one of
the ones sold to the People's Republic of China in 1972.  How do I know
all this?  I am working on the project and was down in Burbank a week
and a half ago.