Re: Business-only flights (was: UAL Viscounts?)

Date:         30 Oct 99 17:55:52
From:         gfoley@gcfn.org (Gerard Foley)

In article <airliners.1999.1090@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Philip J. Kuhl <pjkuhl@erols.com> writes
>the Caravelle which United was also operating at the time.  The Caravelle
>was equipped with all first class seating (no coach) and thus was employed
>more on routes carrying a high percentage of business travellers.  United in
>those days even offered "men only" executive flights -- times have certainly
>changed!

For a number of years when both jets and prop aircraft were being flown on
the same routes there was a premium for flying in jets.  In fact, I think
this was the introduction of first class to flying.

Up to the 1930's, if I recall correctly, all rail travel in the US was
nominally one class, with the Pullman service being just a charge for the
berth or seat.  Then the coach fare was reduced (from 3.6 cents per mile
to 2 cents per mile?) and the old higher fare continued to be charged for
Pullman (in addition to the charge for berth, roomette or what have you)
as first class.  The air fares were generally made to equal the rail
Pullman fares, but I think it was all one class until the jets.

It was a big question when the two classes were in the same airplane as to
what  the premium bought you.

--
Gerry