Re: Windshield blow out

Date:         17 Oct 99 23:29:30
From:         "john r." <john@guava.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.1999.1038@ohare.Chicago.COM>, David G. Davidson
<tristar500@home.net> writes
>Does anyone have any information on the BA BAC1-11 that had the captain's
>windshield blow out? I'd really like to see an accident report.

As I understand it the wrong replacement bolts were used, they were the
next size down but the same length. The correct nuts were used,
unfortunately they are the same pitch and will hold on the smaller
threads, just.

In climb, with the stress of pressurisation on the whole window surface
building up, the minimal grip of the nuts on the smaller threads was
overcome and out went the window and nearly the Captain as well.

An engineering strike at the time was a major factor, the bolts being
obtained by an engineer who did not normally do the job. A storeman also
pointed out they were wrong but was ignored.

--
john r.