Re: Airbus winglets

Date:         05 Oct 99 03:14:43
From:         Ernie Fidgeon <efidgeon@videon.wave.ca>

"M. Jones" wrote:
> R.F. Kay wrote:
> >Can anyone give me information/numbers concerning the winglets that the A320
> >family have installed - i.e. their purpose (drag reduction/fuel savings?)
> >and how efficient this shape of winglet is compared to the Boeing shape?
>
> They're not winglets (according to a UAL captain I asked).  They're nav/com
> antennae.

They are winglets.  The actually vertical fence is made from graphite/epoxy
composite structure and is bolted onto the wingtip.  The tip assy is
Aluminum construction housing the Nav lights and strobes.  In the config I
see I am not aware of any antennae.  Further, the "wires" sprouting from the
TE of the fence are static discharge wicks.

--
EF

"But... I don't think of you."
Howard Roark