Re: Airbus winglets

Date:         05 Oct 99 03:14:41
From:         Steve Howie <showie@uoguelph.ca>

>>They're not winglets (according to a UAL captain I asked).  They're nav/com
>>antennae.

>He's half right -- they aren't winglets.  Airbus calls 'em wing fences.
>Regardless of what they're called, they're there for aerodynamic reasons
>though they may have antennae components embedded in them.

If you are interested in seeing a very detailed view of these 'fences',
take a look at http://www.skyservice.com/photographs/img0024.jpg

This shows a close-up view of the wingtip of an A320 operated by
Skyservice, a Canadian charter company.  The HF antennae are quite
visible.

Scotty
--
Steve Howie					root@127.0.0.1
Netnews and Listserv Admin			519 824-4120 x2556