Re: CV-990 Aft Fan

Date:         05 Oct 99 03:14:37
From:         Steve Lacker <no@spam.thanks>

Jeff Taylor wrote:
> I would like information or possibly some pictures of the CV990 Aft
> Fan Engine. This would be the General Electric CJ805-23. I have read
> that it was a civlian J-79 from the F4 Phantom and other Military
> Aircraft.

Not a J-79, but definitely a J-79 derivative. Actually, it seems like
quite a clever idea- definitely a quicker way to concoct a turbofan
from an existing turbojet than adding a spool. However, I assume it was
probably considerably less efficient or had some other deficiency
compared to "front-fan" engines. The CV-880's engines were closer to
J-79s- basically a J79 minus the afterburner. There are pictures and
information on all 3 (including good views of the J-79's variable
incidence stator system) in Gunston's "Encyclopedia of Aircraft
Engines."

-- Stephen G. Lacker
sglacker at texas dot net