Re: Airbus winglets

Date:         03 Oct 99 17:38:50
From:         Ernie Fidgeon <efidgeon@videon.wave.ca>

"R.F. Kay" wrote:
> Can anyone give me information/numbers concerning the winglets that the A320
> family have installed - i.e. their purpose (drag reduction/fuel savings?)
> and how efficient this shape of winglet is compared to the Boeing shape?

I'm not sure about the theoretical performance numbers, likely in the
order of a 5-7% lift improvement though.

Interestingly, on the A320 if a winglet is removed (due damage etc)
there is a 5% range hit and a requirement to carry something like
2000lbs less fuel on that wing due to the lost lift.

--
EF

"But... I don't think of you."
Howard Roark