Re: Mysterious Boeing Panel

Date:         03 Oct 99 17:38:27
From:         "john r." <john@guava.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.1999.1027@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Jonathan Fox <jwfox@isd.net> writes
>I don't think that anyone uses the oxy service panel.  It is deactivated most
>a/c and when a bottle is low it is either replaced or removed serviced and
>reinstalled.  The reason is that filling oxygen bottle carries a risk of
>explosion and or fire and you don't want that to happen on the a/c.

Oxygen is charged in many parts of the world, it is the FAA that has
some objection to it.
I think it is much safer than transporting and installing a number of
cylinders to bring the pressure up.
If you have twenty cylinders on the pax system and it has been used you
will have to change four or five to bring the pressure up. That is four
or five system breakdowns, cylinder removal and refit in the freight
hold with all the risks of removal, fitting and transit. Whereas with
charging there is only one connection and no system breakdown.

Here at BA we have a number of oxygen charge trolleys fitted with 3
heavy industrial cylinders. Procedures do not allow charging when
fuelling or with pax on board.
--
john r.