Re: 737-400 Vortex generators

Date:         03 Oct 99 17:38:24
From:         kts@socrates.berkeley.edu (Katie Schwarz)

Ernie Fidgeon  <efidgeon@videon.wave.ca> wrote:
>My understanding is that the generator causes the local flow to rotate
>downwards onto the wing in the areas where separation starts from the
>airfoil.  This downward flow delays or prevents separation and improves lift

Speaking of vortex generators, I noticed during a couple of 737 rides
recently that they were slightly different on different planes.  One
plane had more of them, in a more complex pattern, than the other.  Is
this a difference between different models of 737?  Or are the vortex
generators an after-market addition to the wing?  When did vortex
generators first become common on airliners?

--
Katie Schwarz
"There's no need to look for a Chimera, or a cat with three legs."