Re: Constellations at Oxnard?

Date:         17 Sep 99 10:52:37
From:         Tom Gibson <ttgibson@sunstroke.sdsu.edu>

Thanks for the info on the Connies - those addresses may be useful some day.

Tim Pearson wrote:
> There's also an outfit known as Airliners Of America that
> operates a Martin 404.  (Anybody seen that new book about
> the Martin 202 and 404?)

Yes, I have it (called The Martinliners).  Pretty darn good book, with lots of
photos and details about the 202 and 404 program, as well as several programs
that never happened.  If Northwest hadn't had such trouble with their 202's
(including the wing spar failures), Martin might have had an equal share of
the piston twin market (vs Convair) or even more.  Too bad they rushed it to
completion (and Martin was so stubborn in many situations).  Ah, what if...

The Airliners of America 404 is nee-TWA, ex-private, and is painted in Pacific
Air Lines colors.  I flew it this May in San Diego - great plane.  They also
now have a DC-4, which they plan on painting in Western colors (as I remember).

To reply remove the first t from my address.

--
Tom Gibson
Classic Airliner Page:    http://members.aol.com/TGFltsim/