Re: A330-100?

Date:         17 Sep 99 10:52:34
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>> I've never heard of the 747SP having reduced-gauge sheet metal, though
>> that may have been done on a localized basis.
>
>I would be EXTREMELY surprized to find that the SP had thinner sheet
>metal.  After all, it is subject to the same pressure differentials and
>cycle fatigue processes as a "normal" 747, and thinner sheet metal would
>not allow for that.

The skin is also helping carry other structural loads which will be
reduced by having a shorter fuselage.  Going the other way, I vaguely
recall instances of thicker gauges being used in the plugs of stretched
derivatives, possibly the A321 or 737-800/900.

With regard to cycle fatigue, the 747SP was likely *not* designed for
the same number of cycles as a full-sized 747, since the SP's whole
reason for existence was very long-range flying, which inherently leads
to lower cycles.

I still have no reason to believe the 747SP has thinner metal in any
location, but it seems at least plausible.

  - Andrew A. Rooney