Re: A330-100?

Date:         16 Sep 99 16:42:33
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>-Would the shrink involve a reduction in sheet metal guage?
> The 747SP certainly did.  Look at the ugly tail that produced?

I've never heard of the 747SP having reduced-gauge sheet metal, though
that may have been done on a localized basis.  Whether true or not, it
has nothing to do with the 747SP's tail.  I assume you are referring to
the step-down in the fuselage, which isn't present on the full-sized
747s.  This is due to the need for a larger vertical stabilizer (needed
to compensate for the shorter lever arm) without a dramatic increase in
height above ground (which might preclude use of some hangars).

  - Andrew A. Rooney