Re: Measurement of airliners

Date:         16 Jun 98 02:15:44
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>I am working on a project where we need to estimate the speed of taxiing
>aircraft as seen on a video tape.  The people taking the video did not
>document the focal length used nor the distance from the centerline of
>the taxiway.

>I intend to develop a scale by measuring a known distance or size object
>on one or two of the aircraft.  One convenient distance would be from
>the nose gear to the main gear ...

Boeing has diagrams with various dimensions on their web site, e.g.,

   http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737-300/ext.html

Of the ones I looked at, only the 747-400 showed the wheelbase, but all
included the MLG (main landing gear) track as well as overall length and
tail height, either of which could also be useful for your purposes.
Wingpsan and tailplane span are also included, though those are probably
not very helpful in your case.

I didn't look at Airbus' site (http://www.airbus.com/) but they have a
nice web presence as well with lots of information on their aircraft,
again probably sufficient to give you something from which to work.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com