Re: Flight 826

Date:         20 Jan 98 01:29:42
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>Just a side note.  I wonder if UA will change the flight number.  826 was an
>old Pan Am flight number.  UA826 had not been used since the UA DC-8 collided
>over Staten Island with the TWA L-1049 in December of 1960.  Often airlines
>"retire" flight numbers after accidents, ie DL 191, AA 191, and DL 1288 (the
>one that the engine exploded at PNS), UA 232.

I hadn't realized that 826 was the flight number of the DC-8 that crashed.

In any case, while airlines are usually superstitious about such things,
UA kept a flight 585 for years after the 737 crash at Colorado Springs.
(Their current schedule does not list a flight 585, however.)  Usually
such changes are made quickly, and there's still a UA 826 NRT-HNL listed
in the reservation system, so I guess this is one UA won't change.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com