Re: NG737 performance

Date:         16 Jun 98 02:15:38
From:         JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@videotron.ca>

C. Marin Faure wrote:
> At least one commercial carrier has ordered
> winglets for their passenger NG737s.  The winglets can be added to any of
> the NG737 Series, and are made of composite materials reinforced by a
> metal structure.

I was under the impression that winglets were effective on long range
flights but for short hops were not worth the extra weight. Is this
correct ?

If so, at what sort of flying distance would the winglets become cost
effective ?

Since the 737s being built by Boeing right now are considered "737" by
the government and thus must have some type of commonality with all
other 737s built, wouldn't winglets also become attractive for previous
generation 737s down to the -200 ?

Or is the wing of the new 737s so different in shape ? (I realise that
componets and materials may be different on the new models compared to
the tanks built back in the 60s and 70s, but isn't the basic shape the
same ?)