Re: Cross crew qualification

Date:         16 Jun 98 02:15:27
From:         Chris Dahler <dahler@iglobal.net>

> What I am interested in is to know the training days which are needed
> for the Boeing models. The 757 and 767 share the same cockpit, but all
> other Boeing birds are different. IIRC the 737NG can however display the
> 777 layout or the 737 2G layout, so that training should be quite
> reduced.

Training between the traditional 737 and the 737NG takes one day of ground
school followed by three takeoffs and landings under the supervision of a
check airman, which may be accomplished on revenue flights (at least, that's
the way Southwest Airlines does it).

> What about the other conversions :
>
> 737 2G to 757 // 737 2G to 777 // 757 to 777 // 757 to 747 // 777 to 747

Currently, as far as I am aware, there are no reduced training programs for
any of these conversions you have listed.  Each different aircraft type has
its own separate training program, and that will usually vary from one month
to 6 weeks.  The only time you wind up in reduced programs is when the type
rating is common; then you get into what the FAA calls a "differences" course,
and that can be vastly reduced.  If the type rating changes, however (as in,
for example, the 747 to the 747-400), then entire course must be accomplished.