Re: end of the line for the MD-11

Date:         16 Jun 98 02:15:06
From:         spagiola@my-dejanews.com
Followups:    1 2 3

  marcmsc****@cmdnet.lu wrote:
> To the best of my knowledge total orders are 191. It is a pretty safe
> bet to say that some of the customers will cancel their remaining
> orders, since the value of the MD11 will take a deep drop. Why spend
> money on sth that will be axed ?

Well, ask TWA, who recently got Boeing to extend MD-80 production past the
scheduled cutoff date so they could order some 20-odd additional aircraft. If
the aircraft fits your needs and you'll be using them for some time, it may
well make sense to order a couple extra. I wouldn't be surprised to see that
happening in this case. eg Lufthansa might still take up their options, and
Finnair might take on a few more. Since FedEx had proven itself willing to
scoop up just about any Douglas trijet that comes on the market, resale
values haven't taken that much of a dive.

Stefano Pagiola
--
All opinions are my own.
850 N Randolph Str No.817, Arlington VA 22203, USA