Re: DC-9 Hail damage

Date:         08 Jun 98 02:58:11
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Followups:    1 2 3 4

>Part of the "public image" of engines is that they are supposed to be
>able to ingest/digest frozen turkeys without damage. Right ?

Not frozen.  There's a joke about how the Brits borrowed a turkey cannon
from the FAA for a locomotive and destroyed half the cab.  They asked if
they had done something wrong and the FAA said "thaw the turkeys."

>So, if engines are supposed to be able to ingest turkeys, why would golf
>ball sized hail cause it damage ?

In the case of the Southern DC-9, it was a surge caused by all the
water, not FOD, which caused the damage.  As long as all the bits of
turkey remained a relatively solid chunks, the engines are probably
ok.

In the case of the recent ValuJet, er, AirTran incident, it was not
engine damage but windshield damage.  Ok, so that's supposed to be
able to take a direct turkey hit, just like the engines.  I can only
guess that a large and sustained number of hail hits may be worse than
one turkey.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com