Re: DH Trident

Date:         08 Jun 98 02:58:01
From:         "massengale.atlanta" <massengale.atlanta@mci2000.com>
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5 6

>No, it was originally designed by de Havilland, their DH.121 model.  (I
>thought I had previously heard it called the DH.191.  Anyone know which
>is really correct?)  It became the HS.121 Trident when Hawker-Siddeley
>took over de Havilland.  I believe the Trident name post-dated the take-
>over, so DH Trident is probably incorrect, but DH is not.

Credit for the Trident goes to deHavilland as the design specs laid down by
BEA in 1956 resulted in a project called the DH 119 using four RR Avon R. A.
29s.  A brief effort to incorporate a BOAC long range spec resulted in
another design called the DH 120, but when the latter ordered the VC-10,
deHavillands again focused on the BEA requirement.  This design, the DH121,
was the final result of some political wrangling whereby a consortium
consisting of deHavilland, Fairey and Hunting was retained to produce the
aircraft type.  This was semi-finalised in 1958 with selection of the RR R.
B 141, revised finally in 1959 to include the RR Spey engines.  deHavilland
merged in 1959 with the Hawker-Siddeley group and the consortium was
dissolved.  (This information was published in 1962  in "Turbine-Engined
Airliners of the World" by F. G. Swanborough, Temple Press Books before the
first Trident delivery took place.)

Incidentally, according to "Airliners Magazine" in an article published in
its Spring, 1992 edition, a total of 117 Tridents were built and 116
delivered between 1963 and 1978.

[Moderator's Note: So what happened to the remaining Trident?  Was it a
prototype which was retained by HS?  -- Karl]

Regards,

Marshall H. Massengale, Atlanta