Re: end of the line for the MD-11

Date:         08 Jun 98 02:57:58
From:         Marc Schaeffer <marcmsc****@cmdnet.lu>
Followups:    1 2 3 4

Karl Swartz wrote:
> Last Wednesday, Boeing announced the termination of MD-11 production
> after completion of remaining orders.

Im not surprised of the decision but surprised that the decision was
taken that fast. I expected such a decision not before the end of the
year. So far LH hasn't converted to firm orders the 3 new options. I
believe -- or should I better say believed -- that the decision of LH to
choose a second time the MD11F would have made the choice for other
prime companies easier.

Looking at this Boeing decision, Airbus should have axed for a long time
it's A310 and A300 lines !

>  As of April 30, 1998, 178 MD-11s
> had been delivered and there were commitments (including orders,
> options, and "reserves," whatever those are) for another 22 aircraft.
> So, total MD-11 production will be at most 200 aircraft.

To the best of my knowledge total orders are 191. It is a pretty safe
bet to say that some of the customers will cancel their remaining
orders, since the value of the MD11 will take a deep drop. Why spend
money on sth that will be axed ?

My views,
Marc Schaeffer, Luxembourg  mailto:marcmsc@geocities.com
WWW  http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Lab/8803/