Re: 737NG (was: Seating Pitch)

Date:         06 Jun 98 15:39:09
From:         k_ish <kenish@ix.netcom.com>

Stephen H. Westin wrote:
> faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure) writes:
> > While I have no idea what drove the decision to retain the existing 737 41
> > Section window design (outside of holding down costs), I can say that as
> > the 757 fuselage is slightly larger in diameter than the 707/727/737
> > fuselage, simply grafting a 757 41 section to the front of a New
> > Generation 737 43 Section won't work.
>
> That shocks me; as the '57 was originally an uprated 727, I thought
> the revisions were limited to nose, tail, and wing. Wasn't the
> fuselage cross section carried over?

To carry matters further, the 757 cockpit section is the same as the
767.  This change was made fairly far into the 757 development program,
for commonality of manufacturing.  The cockpits are identical enough
that the pilot's type rating covers both 757/767.  One clue the cockpit
was "grafted" on is the cockpit floor of a '57 is lower than the main
cabin and there is a step down.

Ken Ishiguro