Re: 737NG (was: Seating Pitch)

Date:         06 Jun 98 15:39:08
From:         mechb747@aol.com (MechB747)

>> While I have no idea what drove the decision to retain the existing 737 41
>> Section window design (outside of holding down costs), I can say that as
>> the 757 fuselage is slightly larger in diameter than the 707/727/737
>> fuselage, simply grafting a 757 41 section to the front of a New
>> Generation 737 43 Section won't work.

Cost is probably by far the main reason, but with the different cockpit
design to fit the 757 41 section it probably would not have cockpit
commonality with the classic 737.

>That shocks me; as the '57 was originally an uprated 727, I thought
>the revisions were limited to nose, tail, and wing. Wasn't the
>fuselage cross section carried over?

I think you're right, the 757 fuselage is lower aft of the wings by about 10"
just like the 727.  Also, I've heard that the 757 also has the same flat aft
pressure bulkhead like the 727, not a domed bulkhead like the other 7 series
aircraft.

Matt
Student Pilot  2.1PIC "Airline Pilot in Training", 747-400 Assembler.