Re: An-124 and wing dihedral

Date:         06 Jun 98 15:39:02
From:         mechb747@aol.com (MechB747)

>I imagine that the 747 wings are stiffer than the 777
>wings because of the extra bending moment from the outboard
>engines.

The wings on a 747 flex  A LOT on take-off...
I think the 747 wings may be less stiff because of the additional  weight of
the engines  help to "pull" the wing down against the lifting force.
Aircraft that have engines mounted on the fuselage and not on the wings, like
727s and DC-9s, actually have to have stronger wings because of this.

Can any engineers out there verify this?

Matt
Student Pilot  2.1PIC "Airline Pilot in Training", 747-400 Assembler.