Re: Yaw Damping was: An-124 and wing dihedral

Date:         06 Jun 98 15:38:55
From:         Jim Wolper <wolpjame@cwis.isu.edu>

Pete Mellor wrote:

> [...] Dutch roll is
> a vice of any delta-winged aircraft. Presumably, automatic
> yaw-damping was achieved in pre-FBW days by a simple
> analogue system (possibly part of the autopilot)?
>
> I'm guessing. Does anyone have any definite information?

Yaw damping can be achieved using analogue output
feedback and is usually included as part of an autopilot
installation.  It is useful in straight-wing aircraft as well,
especially those that fly at higher altitudes where the thin
air may reduce the effectiveness of the vertical tail in
damping yaw.

Jim Wolper ATP/PhD/CFI