Re: DC-9 Hail damage

Date:         29 May 98 02:44:11 
From:         "Stephane Le Berre" <>
Organization: Sprynet News Service
References:   1
View raw article
  or MIME structure

David Lesher a écrit dans le message ...
>I've not seen any photos, but the ValueJet [yes, I call it that]
>-9 was described as losing the windshield.
>How the dickens can the crew survive that?

Check the NTSB report :

NTSB Identification: MIA98FA152
Scheduled 14 CFR 121 operation of AIRTRAN AIRLINES, INC.
Accident occurred MAY-07-98 at CALHOUN, GA
Aircraft: Douglas DC-9-32, registration: N948VV
Injuries: 1 Serious, 1 Minor, 85 Uninjured.
On May 7, 1998, about 1920 eastern daylight time, a Douglas DC-9-32, N948VV,
registered to and operated by Airtran Airlines, Inc., as flight 426, Title
14 CFR Part 121 scheduled domestic passenger service from Atlanta, Georgia,
to Chicago Illinois, encountered turbulence and hail near Calhoun, Georgia,
while climbing through 20,000 feet, after departure from Atlanta. Instrument
meteorological conditions prevailed at the time and an instrument flight
rules flight plan was filed. The aircraft received substantial damage. One
flight attendant received serious injuries, and one passenger received minor
injuries. The airline transport-rated captain, first officer, 2 flight
attendants, 1 jumpseat rider, and 80 passengers were not injured. The flight
originated from Atlanta, Georgia, the same day, about 1905. The flightcrew
stated that while at a position about 50 miles north of Atlanta, they asked
for and received permission from the FAA air traffic controller to fly a
heading of 330 degrees to go around weather. This would take them between
two weather returns and also allow them to follow another aircraft ahead of
them. They had not given the flight attendants permission to leave their
seats, and the captain again called them and asked them to remain seated.
While climbing through 20,000 feet, they encountered severe hail which
lasted about 5 seconds, and moderate turbulence which lasted about 30
seconds. The three front windshields shattered and the radome separated from
the aircraft. The captain's and first officer's airspeed indicators became
inoperative and it became very noisy in the cockpit. They declared an
emergency with the FAA air traffic controller and asked for directions to
the nearest airport. An approach to landing was made to Lovell Field,
Chattanooga, Tennesse, with FAA air traffic controllers reporting the
aircraft's ground speed about every 10-15 seconds. A landing was made at
1940, and after inspection of the aircraft by fire department personnel, the
aircraft was taxied to a gate. Postlanding examination of the aircraft by an
NTSB investigator showed the radome had separated and portions of it had
been ingested into the right engine. The three front windshield outer panes
were shattered. The wing leading edge devices, horizontal stabilizer leading
edge, vertical stabilizer leading edge, and both left and right engine inlet
cowls had sustained impact damage. The left and right engine fans had
sustained foreign object damage.

Stephane Le Berre