Re: MD-11 Safety

Date:         29 May 98 02:43:49
From:         stevec01e@aol.com (STeveC01e)
Followups:    1 2 3

>>  If that was a passenger plane, there definately
>>  would have been huge casualties.

SD> If that would have been a passenger plane, it is hard to say
SD> whether it would've had fatalities.

  Ahh, but there was a similiar incident involving a DC10 in Europe.  It hit
with one wing low and rolled over on its back snapping off the wing.
       More details to follow when I can get the info "here".

>There's no flaw, it's really just tail heavy.
> ...his first reaction was to pull the yoke
> back to arrest the rate of desent.

   The horizontal stabilizer of the MD-11t is 60% of the area of the DC10's.
Therefore, the MD-11 does not respond quickly to pitch rate inputs and large
yoke inputs at touchdown should be avoided.

STeve C~