Re: Runway length for DC-9?

Date:         29 May 98 02:43:44
From:         "S.L." <look@the.sig>

Joe Castleman wrote:
> The other day as I was driving to work, I watched a TWA DC-9 take off from
> runway 17/35 at AUS.  This runway is only 5006 feet long, and I had
> believed that jet aircraft always used 13R/31L, which is 7269 feet.

Wow. The biggest thing I've seen using that runway in the past 10 years
was a B-17 :-)

> Is a take-off from such a short runway possible for a DC-9?  Well,
> evidently it is,

I've always assumed that the DC-9 and 737 were originally *built* for
that size runway, but all the really short runways around the country
had just gone away over the years. I do remember flying into Baton Rouge
many years ago (on a 727) and being aware that the runway there was even
shorter than AUS.

Just out of curiousity- which direction was the takeoff? If it was to
the south, I imagine the people along Airport Blvd. down toward the
river got an unusually good dose of JT8D noise.

--
Stephen Lacker
PO Box 8029, Austin TX 78713-8029