Re: Extra emergency exits on 757s

Date:         20 Jan 98 01:29:27
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>I have noticed there are some 757s with a small emergency exit right behind
>the wings.  When I have flown those aircraft, the main cabin is usually
>partitioned in two compartments.  American's 757s do not have these doors
>installed.  Is this an option, or a special requirement for these doors?

It's an option -- in addition to three main doors on each side, there's
a choice of a medium sized door aft of the wing, or a pair of overwing
emergency exits.  The latter avoids having to leave some extra space at
the additional exit, allowing more seats for a standard density config.
I'm not sure which version, if either, allows greater capacity -- if the
4th door config allows more total pax it would be required for the high
density configurations used by charter operators.

The 757-300 has both the smaller 4th door and the overwing exits.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com