Re: An-124 and wing dihedral

Date:         29 May 98 02:43:36
From:         Mary Shafer <shafer@reseng2.dfrc.nasa.gov>

psagdeo@aol.com (Psagdeo) writes:

> The dihedral required is a function of wing location.  All low-wing
> aircraft have positive dihedral, or wing tips above the wing root when
> seen in the front view.

Not true of the F-104, which has a low wing with marked anhedral.  On
the other hand, it's got a huge vertical stabilizer.

The F-4 also has a low wing with some anhedral on the inboard section,
although this is harder to see as the lower surface is pretty much
level and the upper surface tapers downward.  The outboard section,
however, has dihedral, although, being much smaller, not enough to
negate the inboard anhedral.

--
Mary Shafer               NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA
SR-71 Flying Qualities Lead Engineer     Of course I don't speak for NASA